Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Is This Really Tutoring?


The school is really trying to provide regents tutoring but, when 70+ kids show up for extra help, I wonder how much extra help they can really be given. That is the number of kids I've heard that are showing up for our Saturday tutorials. One teacher and over 70 kids just does not amount to a tutoring program. It does provide extra lessons, but that is all.

Many, many years ago, I opened my big mouth and got a homework helper program started. But, because of my big mouth, I also got stuck working it. We had a few hundred kids showing up twice a week. We filled the cafeteria. But, I recruited tutors and it worked! The kids got individual help and many succeeded. One of the plus parts of the program was that kids who came for math help ended up staying on and tutoring English or history or even stayed on and tutored the math they had just learned to do. It was exhausting but it was rewarding.

The geometry regents in June 16. The large group setting is not working for most of my students. I promised to meet with them the Saturday before the regents. True, I have 68 kids on register, but I know they won't all show up. But, at least it is me with my own kids, no one else. We'll meet at 10 and stay until we run out of steam. (I am giving up a weekend trip to Florida for this.) They'll pass this exam or not, but it won't be from lack of effort.

2 comments:

Schoolgal said...

It would be great if tutors can get community service credit.

Schoolgal

Pissedoffteacher said...

The kids got service credit and I wrote them all great letters of recommendation for college. Out of the four of us who worked the program, I was the only one who did this (wrote the letters and entered the service credit on pr cards) so I gave it up after one term. I have no idea how the current homework helpers works but I know it is in a classroom so they don't get nearly the number of kids we did back then.