Friday, March 20, 2009

Don't Think I Am Transparent



The number on my both my home phone and my cell phone are private. When I make a call, I want the person on the other end to wait to hear my voice before they know it is me on the line. I find it disturbing for someone to say my name before I have even said hello.

Years ago, I always stopped in a coffee shop on my way to school. When the worker behind the counter started handing me my order before I asked for it, I started going to another cafe.

When the guy who took my food order in Panera Bread typed in my order before I spoke it, I switched from a sandwich to a soup and then I stopped eating there.

I don't want people looking through me. No one knows how my brain works or how I think. I like it that way. Anyone who thinks they know me better think again. Sometimes I don't even know me.

3 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

I may not know YOU, but I have read your blog, and I am sure I taught with someone just like you the first 12 years of my career. She eventually got used to me calling her 'mom' and asking to borrow money for a Coke. She also cared more than most teachers I know. Don't retire and keep on bitching. Some of us enjoy it! Come visit if you feel up to it.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

You know whenever any of us see private on the caller id we assume its you anyway,...

Pissedoffteacher said...

Daughter--this post was directed to someone other than a family member. You guys know me real well.