Friday, December 11, 2009

Childless For The Holidays

We were discussing children at work today and one colleague said "two down and one to go". She was referring to the number of children living at home. I don't think I ever felt that way.

We just lit our Chanukah candles without any of our children home. It's so lonely and sad. I miss the fighting over who was going to light which menorah, the color of the candles and whether it would be a big or little present that night.

I know my kids are grown, happy in their own lives, hundreds of miles from here and I am happy for them. But, I can't help but get teary looking at the flames fluttering away.

4 comments:

Ms. Tsouris said...

Happy Chanukah to you and yours, near and far!!

Meanwhile, I keep dancing said...

Have a blessed holiday, even if it is a little lonely. Maybe it's time for a crazy new tradition?

mathman42 said...

In a different time and place you might have invited some of your students

burntoutteacher said...

I know how you feel. My daughter has to stay at college until just before Christmas. My son, living in Manhattan, is coming home today for a few hours and I have gone nuts, buying too much food, too many gifts, planning a little too much. When the kids are grown and gone, when the job no longer satisfies (at least in my case), there is a hole that is hard to fill. But happy happy Chanukah nonetheless! I will waddle into school on Monday full of latkes and brisket.