Saturday, September 04, 2010

Astoria


Friend's introduced us to Astoria tonight, a part of Queens that I have been to, but never got to know. They showed us the great wall murals (one done by students at Frank Sinatra HS), interesting grocery stores (where I got yelled at for taking pictures), the inexpensive fruit and vegetable stores, the fantastic bakeries and the delicious restaurants.

I promised the owner, Nanna, I would write a post about her eatery, Telly's Taverna. The food was outrageous. At first, I was apprehensive. I know it is better to eat a whole fish than a filleted one, but I just can't get past the bones. They promised to fillet a flounder for me. Not trusting, I stuck with a spinach pie which was probably the best one I ever ate. My friends had fish, my husband had pasticcio and we had a huge, fresh Greek salad. And, no meal would be complete without the Greek beers. (One round was us on the house.) Nanna said she likes people to leave happy because when they are happy they tell a few people. When they are unhappy, they tell everyone. That is when I promised to use this blog to tell everyone how great the place was.

After dinner, we explored the neighborhood. Naturally, I had to take pictures but I only had my little point and shoot with me. I posted them here, on facebook.

No comments: