Friday, May 28, 2010

Snapshots


Day before a three day weekend and Mr. AP is out with his little computer again. Mr. Principal insists this is the best way to judge which teachers are doing a good job and which ones aren't because, according to him, it takes talent to keep them going on these days. Now, I don't mind these administrators looking in the room and making sure that teaching is going on but, what kind of quality administrator needs to walk into a room to do an observation at the end of the day that begins a three day weekend? A good administrator would know what is going on without playing this little gotcha game.


My ninth period was actually better than normal. Being the day before a holiday, attendance was extremely light. Of course two young ladies did walk in ten minutes late with absolutely no valid excuse. I confronted them and then let them sit down and work. If he asks, I can show him the record where phone calls home are listed. One of these girls holds the class record. The other one happens to be the one "dumped" on me a few months ago who rarely shows up. There was the usual "I need a pencil" and "I don't have paper" comments. (I always have a ready supply on hand for these kids.) The good news is that one of the worst prepared kids did come in prepared with her brush and mirror and was able to tidy herself up real nice for Mr. AP.


I don't know what he thought of the class and truthfully I am not all that concerned. I've finally stopped caring about what any admin says or thinks about me. I worry not for me, but for others without the seniority I have. I did my best to keep them engaged, I was in the face of every kid not working and when it came time for them to go to the board, I had lots of volunteers. I even had one girl get her friend to help her with a problem she was struggling on (although I think he might have left before this happened so he didn't see it.) All in all, for that group, things went well. Personally, I prefer the snapshot I took at a street fair on Broadway last Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was under the impression that for a full period observation, we have the right to a pre-observation conference. If I am understanding that correctly, and perhaps a union rep knows this better than I do, it seems to me that you should never be surprised by a pop-in, since the pre-observation conference must let you know when he is coming in.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Snapshots don't require a pre oservation conference because they only last 5 - 10 miutes.