Monday, May 16, 2011

Caring


At our last faculty conference, we were each asked to discuss our educational philosophy.  I was too tired to give it much thought then, especially since I had never cared much for educational theory, I had no answers remotely ready.  But, I've been giving this question some thought, listening to people around me and it occurred to me that I have a one word educational philosophy, and that word is caring.  I care about my students for them, not for what their test grades mean to me.  I care that they learn and learn to love what they are learning.  I care about things they find difficult to understand and care about finding a way to help them through.  I care about them outside of the classroom.  I nag when I see them walking around in the winter without a proper coat.  I care enough to go to ball games and concerts  I care enough to notice when a child is upset and I let them know I know something is wrong.  Kids do better when teachers care.


(picture from International Festival May 13, 2011)

3 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

"Kids do better when teachers care."

Yes, they do.

abused teacher said...

If you don't care, why even show up? All the educational theory and jargon can be taught and applied to anyone. The caring either exists or it doesn't. Is there a course on caring at the Leadership Academy?

Pissedoffteacher said...

Leadership Academy teaches hardening of the heart--especially in regards to teachers.