Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bob Friedrich For City Councilman

Hard as it is to believe, I actually met a candidate for public office that I not only liked, I am going to do what I can to help get him elected.

Bob Friedrich is running for the City Council (23rd District, zips 11001, 11004, 11005, 11040, 11362, 11364, 11365, 11366, 11423, 11426, 11427, 11428.) He spent his Saturday going from door to door introducing himself to voters and answering questions. He should have gotten nervous when he met me, but he didn't.

The first thing I asked Mr. Friedrich (I'll call him that here, although I will use his first name when we meet again) was his position on Bloomberg's third term try. He said the right thing. He is opposed. I then asked him his position on mayoral control of the schools and and I could see from his face that he wasn't expecting me to like his answer. He favored mayoral controls with many checks and balances and does not want to see the old system return. While I disagree with mayoral control, I respect his honest and straightforward answer. I then went on to question him about what he would like to see happen at the DOE and I was impressed with what he said. (He lives in the Glen Oaks community and is very involved with the schools although he has no school age children.) I asked about his opponents and when he mentioned Mark Weprin as one of them, he got my vote. I told Mr. Friedrich about the town hall meeting that turned my stomach and he remembered hearing me speak there.

Mr. Friedrich spent quite a while at my house and left me with some reading material which I promised to look at. Look at it I did and and now he has my support (I even sent a donation) and my vote. I even promised him a shout out on this blog (but I wouldn't give him its title.)

Good luck Bob Friedrich. The city needs a councilman like you.

No comments: