Sunday, March 20, 2011

Facebook To The Rescue


One of the girls in my calculus class was confused about a question on a "take-home quiz."   These are really just homework assignments I collect and mark.  I do this to encourage them to work together and take homework seriously.  I'm not as good as I should be about checking to see who does it on a regular basis.  It just takes too much time and I still have way too much to cover before the AP exam.  (The single period is killing us.)  The reason I am writing this now is I just checked our class Facebook page and saw the request for help and a dialogue that transpired with 12 comments involving 6 kids, kids I that are not friends outside of school. Membership in the group is up to 70.

Teachers and parents complain that the kids spend too much time on the Internet.  Well, here is a group using it for something positive.  Funds may have been cut to schools, our class time has decreased but Facebook has provided a way for my kids to get the extra help some so desperately need.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are so many negative aspects about FB that cause problems in society.
There are actually some positive ways on using FB, when it is done and used appropriately. It is great that you found a creative Internet use to foster cooperative learning.

Too bad AP doesnt see (or possibly not wanting to see this).

Pissedoffteacher said...

My AP will never see or acknowledge anything I do that is good. I am beyond caring what he says or thinks.

Anonymous said...

Too bad there is no 'effective evaluation system' for administrators...

Anonymous said...

I created a FB page for my class. But when I was talking with a colleague, I innocently mentioned it and they immediately gasped and advised I delete the page as soon as possible or I could get fired! :( It had just been up for a week, so I didn't really get to see how effective it was; but when I told my class I had to delete it, they were furious. And honestly, so was I. So. was. I. :( If we're supposed to reach the kids, shouldn't we be using what they use? -- Frustrated First Year Teacher