Friday, January 01, 2010

We Always Want What We Can't Have




The fisherman that live in the area pictured above have nothing material. They live in tin huts, made of any recycled material they can find. For refrigeration, they use old coolers. They have no electricity or indoor plumbing. Yet, I wonder, are they better off than we are? Life is hard but the living seems easy going. They look at me and think "rich American". I look at them and think "rich Jamaican." I spoke to an 18 year old beach cleaner who told me of his dreams to come to NYC. I told him how hard immigrants have it here and how hard they work for very little money. I told him not to give up his dream but think it through and come to NYC with well worked out plans. He thanked me for the advice

The grass always looks greener on the other side.

No comments: