Saturday, August 21, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Day At Staples


I just went to Staples to pick up my free teacher appreciation loot. The stuff this year wasn't as good as last year's booty but free is free and I am not an ingrate.

While there I saw a demonstration of crayons Crayola just put out for dry erase boards. They were great. They have no smell, and no caps and cannot dry up when they are needed the most so there is no need to worry when the Principal or AP decides to drop in for an unexpected observation. The price was great too, $3.99 for a package of 8 plus an eraser.

My problem--I have no idea as to what room I will be in next term, whether I will have a chalk board or a white board or a smart board or any board so I put the purchase on hold. (No programs yet either. I was given one set of classes, and promised another but until I see anything in writing I am doing no prep work.)

BTW--my daughter showed up this weekend with a math nerd clock similar to the one Math Teacher Mambo just purchased. Since I don't have a classroom, I'll put it up at home. My girl really knows how to make me happy.

11 comments:

Ricochet said...

If you end up with a blackboard DO let me know and I will mail you ALL of the chalk I have. I have colored chalk and white chalk and whiteboards.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Carroll School Supply would give away those large academic calendars. I loved those.
If I missed that deal, I would buy it at Staples. I had 2. One for my desk, and one for the B-board. The boxes were big enough to write in monthly info (class trips, important test dates, school events, project-due dates, and b-days! (The boxes were large enough for me to attach a small cardboard birthday cupcake next to each name) It also was big enough for math workshop lessons.

Over at SUPPORT, the question was raised on the starting age for kindergarten. Thanks to NCLB centers were replaced with skill books. But are these kids ready? Many parents are starting to hold their kids back. Many first-grade teachers at my old school got some of their children placed back into kinder because they were not ready.
My niece is hoping her baby comes after Sept. 30th because she sees the difference that extra year made for her daughter.

Mrs. Chili said...

I went to TA at Staples today, too. It seemed kind of lame to me, but there were some good and useful things on super-sale, so they got what they wanted in getting me to come into the store...

Shireen Dadmehr said...

I was thinking about the "roaming teacher" bit. Is it too tedious to travel with the clock and a longish chain or something with an S hook at each end? Then you can hang it over the black/white-board in whatever class you mosey on over to. I guess this assumes you have enough hands or a rolly cart or a carry all.

Ms. Cookie

Pissedoffteacher said...

Way too much trouble. I have to carry everything from room to room--two book bags plus some loose items in my arms. I also carry a box of calculators and my overhead for TI 83. I could also be on multiple floors. And, if I happen to have trailer classes, I have my coat as well.

There is no way I could manage a clock. Such is the lot of a NYC teacher.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in HS, the teachers had assigned rooms. Every period we would go to those rooms for our classes. What happened??

PS: Would you ever consider bringing back real-time comments. I miss the fun seeing people squirm and answering them back, and you have the magic power of delete.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I delete comments that give away my school or my name or are really nasty. There is one commenter who always tries to change the topic to "suit" his desires. I also like to delete his comments.

Sorry, but the comment moderation has to stay.

Suit Lover said...

I never try to change the topic to suit my desires. If you post about Suit, I respond about Suit.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Suit Lover--I just knew you would have a response to that comment!

Angela Watson said...

So back to the most important part of this post, which is the discovery of dry erase crayons...seriously, those could be life-changing for classroom teachers. My question: do they work? I'm wondering how well they show up and if they're difficult to erase...

:-) Angela

Pissedoffteacher said...

I only tried them in the store. They erased easy and looked like they would show up, but I'm not 100% sure.