Sunday, August 15, 2010

Red Meat


A friend recently was telling me about his vacation, his love of red meat and how much of it he got to eat on his trip. His story reminded me of a very "red" moment of mine.

When my son was small, he was happiest when I took him, not to a toy store or an amusement park, but to a supermarket, and in particular, Waldbaum's. (Don't ask me why, the child was and still is a little strange.) Anyway, on one particular day, he got a bug up his rear and, in the middle of the store, began to chant "RED MEAT, I WANT RED MEAT". Nothing I said stopped him. I didn't (and still don't) buy red meat often (I prefer not eating it and my daughter would not eat it) and the little that I did buy came from the Kosher butcher, not the supermarket. People stared. I felt like a was going to be charged with child abuse.

He didn't get his red meat that day or any day soon after. The day was long ago,and I thought forgotten until I heard the words "red meat" again. I guess this is something I will never get over. He never got over his love of red meat either but since he is now an adult, living on his own, he can get all the red meat he wants.

No comments: