Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Vow I Have To Break


Probably due to the wonderful health care for the uninsured, my brother-in-law is dying. By the time his cancer was diagnosed, it had spread and now he has stage four lung cancer. I don't blame our country's lack of health coverage entirely. If he and my stupid sister hadn't been looking for jobs that fulfilled them, they might have had coverage. If he didn't smoke, he might not have contracted this deadly disease.

After my horrible, last experience I vowed never to return to Texas, the place they live. I can't let him go without saying goodbye. My sister is the one I have problems with, not him.

I just got tickets for my dad and me. He wants to stay a few days. I told him I can't miss work. A weekend is all it will be.

(The woman at the Continental desk was very helpful. She found us flights that would allow us to pay for them almost entirely with my dad's frequent flyer mileage. I didn't know nice airline employees still existed.)

8 comments:

Kim Hughey said...

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Hope you have a better trip this time. What part of Texas are you heading to?

ChiTown Girl said...

I'm so sorry for your BIL. I'll be sure to say a prayer for him, and for you & your dad to have a safe trip.

burntoutteacher said...

So sorry.

Pissedoffteacher said...

KIngwood, near Humble, outside of Houston

NYC Educator said...

Sorry to hear about your brother in law, and very sorry he has to go through such a thing.

Schoolgal said...

I lost my father to lung cancer. So sorry that your family has to face another loss.

Ricochet said...

I am so sorry your family is going through this. I will be thinking of you.

Chaz said...

Hang in there.