Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Reasons



When I first started at Packemin HS many years ago, I taught 5 math classes in the special education department. It was by choice.

Before I had my children, I was teaching predominantly Title 1 math classes. These classes were full of kids who had problems with basic arithmetic. We worked with them on individual assignments, were truly able to differentiate work (no one called it that then, but we did it anyway) and we helped many succeed. In those days, special education students were just starting to be mainstreamed and because I have always been good with low performers, my classes were packed with them. I got to know these kids, got to love them and got to help them. I still reread the letters they sent me when I left to have my daughter. I don't know if there were IEPs in those days, no one ever mentioned that word. But, I knew what these kids were about. They were a small group with a great ISS teacher and we spoke almost daily.

I came to Packemin and chose ISS because of the positive relationship I had with that department in my previous school. Besides, so many of the mainstreamed kids performed at levels equal to or less than the ISS kids I decided it might be easier to work with kids who were diagnosed. My love of these kids never wavered. But, as I got to know them, I saw how they struggled with math, how hard it was for them to master some concepts and even recall the ones they did at times seem to master. It was hard doing the same things over and over and not succeed, hard on them and hard on me. In spite of that, I did not leave that department by choice.

Today, all those struggling ISS students would probably be mainstreamed. These kids, who could barely keep up in special education are now required to take mainstream classes. There is no support for them. And, what support could possibly help a child with an elementary school reading and math level succeed? More and more kids being dumped into this situation.

I might have started writing about this issue to "bust chops" but I am glad I did start writing. People that know nothing about kids with disabilities are now making the decisions as to where and how they will be educated and they are not getting educated. It doesn't matter what my motivation was and it doesn't matter what the UFT's motivation is for making a big deal about these violations. It matters that things have got to change if we are going to help our students. The only weapon I have to use is words and I will continue using them. As the attacker said, I am a fighter but I am a tough fighter and I won't back down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad we (Iss students and alike) have you. It is a tough fight to make sure all students have their needs looked at nevermind those with disabilities. Please dont ever back down!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that the inexperienced incompetent AP is observing the people who work. It's hard to see where she finds time with harrassing everyone, embarrassing people who are working and covering up all her mistakes and violations. How she got that job is a mystery I will never understand. I still think any one of us could od it better and without making everyone hate us.

Happy thanksgiving and thanks for paying attention to us.

mathman42 said...

I took it upon myself to tell a parent that her son should be tested for POSSIBLE SpEd. He is doing about 6th grade work in all his classes (This is 9th grade ). Fortunately the counselor and AP had no problem with this as I told them to expect an irate call. Of course he takes out his frustration on other students and the teachers.

Hope you had a nice holiday.