Saturday, November 07, 2009

Owning A Piece Of My Heart

Over the years I've learned to harden my heart and let very few people in. Friends let you down and I'd rather play it safe than take chances. Sometimes the disappointment of a friend's action or more likely inaction, is just too painful to bear.

Try as I might there are people that chisel away at this stone. One such person is burying his 20 year old daughter tomorrow. Talking to him, sitting with him, crying with him has chipped away at this stone.

I didn't think it was possible, but this non family member, this friend, owns a piece of my heart. I wish I could do something to make his pain go away but I can't. His wails of sorrow will be embedded in my brain forever.

My friend, I love you and I share your pain. You and your family will be in my heart forever.

1 comment:

Ricochet said...

I wish your friend peace, not today, but eventually.

We are not meant to survive our children. Sometimes we do.