Monday, November 02, 2009

CYA


Someone important must be reading this blog because I received IEPs in today's e-mail. I find it interesting that they came the first school day after my blog post about not having them. Before I even opened the first one up, I noticed that four were missing. I have 14 students who have IEPs (or maybe extended time but no one ever bothers to explain the difference to the mere teacher) but I only received 9 IEPs. I know for a fact at least three of these kids do have IEPs.

Since I did bitch about not having them, I thought it was only right for me to open them up and read them. All I can say is, what a waste of time. They give absolutely no useful information, nothing NADA!!!! I know more about these kids from talking to them and their parents than from this document.

One of my students clearly has a resource room on his IEP but he wasn't given one until the social studies teacher and I opened our mouths to find out why. We each have 5 classes with 34 kids each, yet we had to find the problem, not the guidance counselor, not the ISS supervisor, not anyone else. I also found an IEP that said the mother speaks Spanish at home but does not need an interpreter in school. I found this strange since I have spoken to the mother twice, both times using my limited Spanish because her English is even more limited. She is coming to school to meet with me on Wednesday and requested an interpreter, which I arranged for. So, here is an IEP that is totally wrong.

I never mind doing extra work if it helps my students but reading these IEPs was the biggest waste of time ever. An even bigger waste was all the time spent writing them and then e-mailing them out. The ISS department seems more worried about covering their rears and being in compliance with the law (which they still aren't) than actually creating plans that work.

I'm sorry I opened my mouth about these documents.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

these IEP's are legal documents. First, if you dont agree with something written on them you should bring your concerns to the attention of the supervisor. Secondly, your special ed AP should assist you in reading these IEP's!

12 more years said...

Oh PO'd, you've now inspired me to tell my IEP story over at my blog.

Anonymous said...

remember it is your colleagues writing these IEPs. Make sure you tell them they wasted your time.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I will when they write them but these IEPs come from middle school.

Anonymous said...

I don't think federal law limits IEP writing to once a year, and plenty of teachers I know rewrite IEPs in spring to allow summer-program participation.

Why not just have an IEP meeting, draft an appropriate IEP, and then not worry about not having a document that's immediately obsolete and not binding?

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm not the ISS teacher so writing the IEP is not my responsibility, teaching the child is and I would like proper information.

I have 5 classes with 34 kids each. I am not dealing with writing IEPS, that is not my job.

mathman42 said...

I have less than 25 per class ( 9th grade ) but most are incredibly weak and disruptive. Tmrw is differentiation day. I always had trouble with partial derivatives.

Wouldn't the CYA sign be more appropriate on his pants ?

The boys tend not to cover theirs.