Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A Career Celebrated


Mr. AP convinced a retired teacher to have a party.  She worked in the school for over 30 years and he felt, rightly so, her career should be celebrated.  (No comment here about the way he treated the departure of other teachers.)  She didn't want a party, but under pressure gave in.

I am happy for her.  She said the night was wonderful.  There were speeches from colleagues and administrators praising her and forty people were in attendance.  (I had to work or I might have been there as well.)  Even the admins who usually duck out the first time they think no one will notice (everyone notices) stayed until the end.

I went to the UFT retired teacher luncheon with this woman who commented on how wonderful it felt to finally be recognized after all the years she put in.  I know she found this was even more wonderful.  I wish her all the best and look forward to the time we will now get to spend together and to getting to really know someone I worked with for years but knew only in passing.

1 comment:

Schoolgal said...

Very happy for her.