Saturday, August 09, 2008

Sh...It's A Secret


My son, a regular reader of this blog, has a theory--THE UFT LOVES ATRs. ATRs are dues paying union members. No one wants to hire an ATR so the schools are now being staffed by newbies, who are also dues paying union members. The union is growing larger and larger and their coffers grow bigger and bigger. Unlike many of the old timers, the newbies will go along with anything put in front of them.

I can't believe this theory never occurred to me but it makes sense. Why else would the UFT go along with such a ridiculous policy? He feels the UFT must feel the same way about the rubber room teachers. I think my son is pretty astute.

5 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Well, dues is dues, cash is cash, and the UFT leadership's current concern is how much it will receive if Emblem Health, GHI and HIP, is privatized.

Frankly, it ought to be concerned with the ballooning health costs that recipients of privatized health insurance have been facing. But that's another secret, I guess.

17 (really 15) more years said...

PO'd, the concept is so simple, it's brilliant. Kudos to your son.

Anonymous said...

They "love" ATRs and love to dilute the rank and file with nurses, day care workers, short order cooks, lobster fishermen, and whoever will pay their dues. The name of our union needs an update, they appear to be having trouble with the "teacher" part of the name, judging from the situations we write about now and those we will face on August 28. Bravo to your son, someone who I assume is not part of this system but who certainly can see the bottom line: follow the money.

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Well Randy told me in so many words at a meeting in my school in June '07 to take the "pain" if I were reassigned, at that time my skunk of a former principal was trying hard to find something anything to have me reassigned, and to ride out the end of the BloomKlein regime in the rubber room.

She doesn't care about professionalism, justice and employee dignity. It is all about having the numbers that pay union dues and for what? To have the head of my union tell me to ride it out in a stinkin room and do nothing when she knows I have done nothing wrong, legally or morally, to deserve the "punishment" because I had the misfortune to have the "worst asshole of a principal"(her words not mine)that this system could produce.

Yep I am so proud of my city and my fellow New Yorkers. We are in good hands.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I thought of the same thing, especially since I am an ATR and feel totally abandoned by the Union. Your son is as astute as you are--a chip off the old block, obviously!
windhover