Thursday, August 07, 2008

Not A Good Person


My husband had an appointment with the orthopedist. He arrived on time and waited over an hour to see the doctor. He was pretty upset as he watched people who arrived later than him walk right in. He complained, was given some BS excuses and eventually got in to see the doctor.

Two weeks ago he had another appointment. After waiting two hours, he told the receptionist that he was leaving and walked out. That evening, he received a phone call asking him how he paid his co-payment. He explained that he walked out after a two hour wait. Three days later, he received a $25 bill from the doctor because he did not keep his appointment. He immediately wrote the doctor, where he reiterated the experience and requested his medical records.

Yesterday he received an interesting phone call from the former office receptionist. She explained that she no longer worked for this doctor. She was tired of his practices. She had explained my husband's circumstances to him and he did not care. She said that it was office policy to take people with better paying insurance (we have GHI) and people who pay out of pocket first. The office staff was told to make all GHI patients wait. She also told my husband that the doctor told her not to forward his medical records.

My husband has filed a complaint against this doctor with GHI and with the attorney general. I wonder how long it will take to get some response. I wonder how a man like this can live with himself. If he gets tired of medicine, I am sure he would fit right in with the Bloomberg.

7 comments:

The Bus Driver said...

That is insane!!! It is also poor medical practice too. I have often wondered about certain doctors I've been to. One allergist wanted to immediately start me on allergy shots without even telling me what I was allergic to, to begin with! I walked out and never looked back after I asked him for a copy of my allergy report. Whee for poor medical practice... I swear Doc's see me coming and they get $$$ signs in their eyes cuz I have decent state health insurance.

17 (really 15) more years said...

And this is why, when push comes to shove, I pay out of pocket for certain doctors and take the crappy reimbursement from GHI. In certain circumstances pertaining to my health and well-being, I simply cannot be bothered with getting sub-par care.

The man should be stripped of his medical license.

Profesora de espaƱol said...

Isn't that medical malpractice? I mean, whether or not your insurance sucks (and honestly, what insurance doesn't really suck?), people are in the doctor's office because they need medical attention. That doctor is ridiculous. I hope your husband sues and wins because that's just insane. More importantly, I hope he gets the medical attention that he needs.

ed notes online said...

My wife in the medical field says he will never get a response from GHI. He should file a complaint with the county medical society. Also - it would be fun to publicly id the guy and let his name pop up in searches on GHI.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Good news--we got the records today. Now, to find a new, good orthopedist.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ednotes. You should let everyone know the name of this unethical creep so no unwitting GHI patient has to be subjected to such indignities. Why isn't there a "rubber room" for doctors? Only our lives and well being are in their hands. Why is this cruel and unjust punishment reserved for teachers alone? I'm glad you have the records and can move on to a hopefully better orthopedist.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 15 More Years. I have a few doctors that do not take GHI. One is at Hospital of Special Surgery. I am in and out in less than an hour. It's worth the money and the price of parking to be treated professionally.

My former GYN also didn't accept GHI. After she moved, I found a GYN who is not an OB-GYN, so I do not have to wait long and she takes GHI.

My GHI doctors make me wait long periods of time. I try to make the first appointment, but they are never on time.

Schoolgal