Friday, August 22, 2008

My Last Days To Play

Summer is ending so I only have a few days left to really enjoy.

Yesterday I hit fashion exhibit at FIT, Arbiters of Women's Fashion. It was not one of their better exhibits, but it was worth the trip. The museum is free and it is in a great part of the city.



This ugly romper from the early 50's reminded me of those disgusting gym uniforms I had to wear in high school.

After the museum, I did my usual long walk.

Walking along 32nd St, I was struck by the beauty of this old church among the new sky scrapers. Today a friend noticed the Gimbels on the building at the left. Gimbels was a great department store that went out of business in the late 70's.
I loved the way the sun hit this building.
Bargain's from Jack's World. Everything in this basket is .99 or less.

Today, I took the subway down to the ferry to Governor's Island. The ride down there is long but well worth the time. The ferry is free, about a 10 minute ride to the island. The terminal bathroom is spotless. (I'm sorry, but those things are important to me.)


The view from the boat was spectacular. We got pretty close to the Water Falls and although they don't impress me as art, the engineering feat is spectacular.


My favorite though is the view of the Manhattan skyline.




A park ranger gave a great tour of the island, explaining the forts and all the historical significance. Friday is bike free day and everyone can get a bicycle for one hour for free. We just wandered around on foot.


After Governor's Island, we headed up north, towards Century 21, detouring through Battery City Park and stopping for lunch by the Sail Boat School adjacent to the Manhattan Financial Center. The view is breathtaking.





After lunch, a walk through the Manhattan Financial Center, over the World Trade Center construction site to Century 21 (a mistake, that store is just too crowded) and then home.


Next week it will be back to whining and bitching about school. There are always weekends.

2 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Your land is so different from my land--but both are beautiful. Thanks for sharing these photos. Your love for NYC shows in each one.

Anonymous said...

Gimbel's--what a blast from the past!

I also miss Chock-ful-of-Nuts. I loved their frank and coconut cream pie. My sister loved their cream cheese sandwich. I remember standing behind people waiting for a counter seat to open up after a morning of shopping with my mom for clothes either at Macy's or A&S.

Schoolgal