Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I Hate To Admit It






I hate to admit it. I love Alaska. I bitched and moaned almost the whole year before this trip about how much I did not want to come. I refused to take an active part in planning it and did not look at any part of the trip before I arrived here. Boy, was I wrong. I was so wrong that I am planning on making a return trip really soon, maybe even next summer. I loved the cruise part, but I won’t do that again. I just want to spend time roaming around the different parks and exploring the wonderful nature trails. I love the quaint towns consisting of two blocks of stores and the all purpose general stores that sell everything you can possibly think of. The people are friendly and helpful. The beer is great. I love the 20 hours of daylight and the fact that night never gets totally dark and you can wander anywhere any time of day. Next time I am going to fly into either Anchorage or Fairbanks and make my way either up or down and fly home from the one I missed. I’m going to rent a car so I won’t have to keep to anyone else’s schedule and can come and go as I please.

Most of the people we met in Alaska do not live here full time. They usually come from mid-April and stay until the beginning of September. Most of the jobs pay really crap and the way some of the people are treated make me appreciate the NYC Board of Education. Yet, these people come back summer after summer because working up here is the only way they can afford to be here. We met retirees who live in RV and roam the country working six months in one place and then picking up and going somewhere else. As much as I like creature comforts, this sounds good to me, sounds like something I might like to try. Meeting these people is making retirement sound good to me and if I can convince my husband to give it a try, this might be my last year of work although I don’t think so, no one who knows me can see me living in an RV.

Right now we are on our way to Anchorage to spend our last night. Tomorrow we get on a plane to Chicago and then one to NY. It has been a super vacation, definitely the vacation of a lifetime.

4 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Your excitement and enthusiasm are rubbing off on us. I've read portions of your adventure to my wife and she said, "I want to go to Alaska!" Thanks for being a good influence, both in and out of the classroom.

ms. whatsit said...

I really would like to take an Alaskan trip now. I'm glad your vacation worked out for you!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures portrayed an absolutely magnificent view of Alaska. I'm glad you enjoyed it more than you expected to. Didn't you know that would happen? Have a safe return trip, and welcome back home with all its woes and joys. I always was intrigued by Alaska, and now I would love to go to Alaska even more after seeing your awe inspiring photographs!

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous pictures. And I'm so happy you ended up enjoying your trip.