Sunday, July 01, 2007

Laziness


I tutor a girl whose family has a lot of money, I mean a real lot of money and they don't mind spending it on their kids. The girl I tutor goes to a ritzy private school in Manhattan, a school that probably rivals Harvard in price. So, why am I writing about her? This girl is bright, but needs extra help in math. The family values education so they hired me to tutor her. Originally I was supposed to tutor her once a week, but she didn't need that much help then and I told her parents so. I don't care how much money they have, I don't want to take money from them under false pretenses. However, as the term progressed, the work got harder and she needed more and more help. What I don't understand is why they waited until the week before the final to call me? Since money is not a problem and education is very valued I can only conclude it is laziness on their part. A few years ago I decided that I am a good tutor and if the kids want my help, they have to come to my house for it. I guess the parents just didn't want to make the trip. I haven't heard from her yet. I hope she did okay on the exam.

No comments: