Sunday, February 18, 2007

Thinking Blogs


Nic at Siempre Fiel and NYC Ed have tagged me as a "Thinking Blogger". While I am flattered, I really don't see what I write as being of much interest to anyone. I write to vent my stress about the things that go on at work and that I have no control over. I think, when administrators see me coming, they say "what is she going to be bitching about today?". I especially want to thank NYC Ed for he is the one that turned me on to blogging in the first place and Nic. Nic was the first person to actually read what I was writing and share her views. Blogging has opened up a whole new world to me. Although I don't like to see other people going through bad things, and I certainly don't like the way the schools of today are heading, the old saying "misery loves company" is true. Blogging has given me a whole bunch of "new friends" to commiserate and to celebrate with. The anonymity of it allows me to say things I wouldn't normally say out loud. A special thanks to the creator of Thinking Bloggers who thought up this opportunity for us..

Now, for the bloggers that really make me think. I've already mentioned my favorite two, but there are tons more.

1. Life in the Rubber Room--This poor man is spending the end of his career in a Rubber Room. He has sat here for months on end, without even being given the official charges against him. It pains me to read his stories every day yet, I must. It is sad to see the power the system has to cancel out the good works of someone, so fast. While I don't know this man, his writing have given me a sense of who he is. What is happening to him can happen to anyone.

2. Dr. Homeslice. Dr. Homeslice keeps everyone abreast of the struggles teachers are having throughout the country and has some great views on education in general. He is the one who introduced me to Life In the Rubber Room.

3. Bright Minds--this is the journal of a young teacher and the stuff she is facing every day in her efforts to be a good teacher and to help her students. The difficulties she faces from her students and the lack of support from her administration is disheartening. Veteran teachers need to read and support her. The teaching profession needs people like her.

4 and 5. Ms. Whatsit and Educator on the Edge--teachers from a different part of the country than I live in but who shares the same experiences. They want to let people know what is going on so maybe they can do something about them. I feel like I have met myself when I read what these two educators write.

While I am limiting myself to the 5 here (I know, there are really 7 when you count the first two, I am a math teacher) I love all the blogs I have listed on the side and a few more that I haven't listed yet. I read them daily and they help me get through. Thanks to all of you for writing. Keep up the good work.

6 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Excellent choices! And I'm glad to see you using Rodin's "The Thinker"--so appropriate for this piece!

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

P.S. Despite what you say, you are definitely one of the edubloggers who make people think! Nic was absolutely right to have nominated you.

NYC Educator said...

The toughest thing about picking 5 is keeping it to 5. Being a math teacher, you probably noticed I must have listed 14.

Life in the Rubber Room is a good choice, and you mentioned a few I'm gonna have to start reading.

ms. whatsit said...

I am honored that you enjoy my blog enough to put it among your top five. The sentiment is definitely mutual.

Of course following up with my next post is going to be tough, because there are so many good blogs out there to choose from.

Anonymous said...

Nic was right on the mark for picking you. Thank you very much for choosing me. Wow! I'm honored! Thank you for welcoming me into a community. Blogging has also been my release and has opened up a whole new world for me. In fact, you and other bloggers are part of the reason why I haven't quit yet. :)

Again, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean....blogging has opened up new doors and connected me to lots of new people and 'blogger friends' too.

also understand the saying 'misery loves company'..I don't like seeing anyone in pain either but once I realized that I was not alone with the anger and resentment, it made me feel not alone.