Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Letter to the Editor


Letters to the Editor
Working conditions need improvement


To the Editor:

I need a decent work station at work.

I teach five classes in a shack outside my school. When I am not using that shack, another teacher is in it. I usually carry three bags with me, plus an umbrella and a few miscellaneous books in my arms.

I just spent an hour organizing the things I brought home on Friday so I can spend another few hours marking papers and writing lessons.

My C-6 assignment has me in the cafeteria tutoring, but there is no place to sit. No matter what the signs on the tables say (tutoring only), kids are always there. And who can blame them? They need a place to work also.

When I recently complained about conditions I was told, “The school is overcrowded. Improvise!” This came from a person sitting at her own desk, with her own chair, who gets to go to the bathroom without carrying the world with her.

No matter what Mayor Bloomberg thinks, it is imperative that teachers have improved working conditions. It is necessary to help our students. I am willing to bet the people who work for Bloomberg’s enterprises do not work in such a shoddy atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing my point of view,

Mr.XXXXXX

2 comments:

NYC Educator said...

I don't think Mayor Bloomberg has much sympathy, unfortunately. How he gets away with doing such a terrible job with education is beyond me. All over the country mayors want to follow in his footsteps. Newsweek's Alter thinks he's the second coming.

And he's really accomplished little or nothing of substance. Sure, he's inspired fear and loathing in the teaching corps, and shoved a contract down our throats that seriously worsened working conditions.

But it really hasn't helped kids at all. I'm not surprised that we don't matter. But the truth is kids don't matter either.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know-but it is good to see these things in print. I know the author so I wanted to share it with others.