Sunday, September 13, 2009

Honeymoon



The algebra classes are not what I expected. ARIS gave me a whole bunch of data that just seems wrong about most of them. The kids are great and they seem to have more than a clue as to what is going on.

They were ready to begin on the first day of classes. No one said "I don't have a notebook" or "I need a pen." And, when I started working, they worked without complaint. They were not afraid to participate. Nobody observing would have been able to distinguish the special education kids from the regular ed kids. The only way I noticed was from the code on their attendance sheets. I even got homework from almost all of them and the grumbling about weekend homework was barely there.

I'm still not sure how I like this team teaching bit. So far, I've only had a substitute in the room. The extra hands, eyes and ears are nice but there is a price to pay for it. (More on this in another post.) Not that the price is high, but if you remember from previous posts, I am cheap, and it is more than I want to spend.

Well, I won't let myself get too comfortable. It is only the first week and we are still on our honeymoon but I think I will enjoy it for as long as I can. Who knows, maybe this relationship will last for the year? Stranger things have happened.

3 comments:

Chaz said...

Revisit your comment about your class in Late October.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm hoping it lasts until October. That is why I called post honeymoon.

mathman42 said...

Yes to both above.

1. Wait til the regular Sp Ed teacher comes in.

2. Wait til the Sp Ed kids start having difficulties.

3. But they do respond better to structure.

4. KISS