Saturday, January 27, 2007

Left Triangles



I was helping a student study for the Math A regents and we were going over right triangles. I drew this picture on the board. The boy said "Why did you draw that? I thought the problem was about a right triangle? I answered "So, look at the picture!" and he responded with "but you drew a left triangle". The boy was dead serious. It took me a few minutes to realize that he wasn't kidding. I spent another few minutes explaining that a right triangle was a right triangle, no matter which way it faced and then we went over the definition and properties of a right triangle.

Footnote: This boy scored a 77 on the regents. Just goes to show the low level of competence needed to pass.

3 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

This story could be titled, "When Left Is Right." Right?

Anonymous said...

Given the trouble some kids have identifying the side opposite a given angle, I am not at all surprised.

Nic said...

Oh. My. GOD. *weeps*