Monday, January 08, 2007

Bull SH**

I just heard a story on the news about kids who were in the country less than three years being required to take the same reading tests as students who were born in this country. The rationale behind this decision is that testing tells the policy makers what is needed to help these kids. I say BULL SH**!!!!!!!. The only thing these tests do is provide extra income for the test makers. If the powers that be really care about helping these kids succeed they will provide more money for smaller classes and provide more supportive services. The one thing the kids and the schools do not need is more testing.

3 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Having tried very hard to teach kids who've been learning English for 8 weeks how to pass the Regents exam, I can do no more than agree with you %100. I'd agree more, but I happen to know you're a math teacher.

You folks scare me a little, to tell you the truth.

mathnerd said...

So I found your blog through blog stalking, and had to make a comment. I teach 7th grade math and have 2 girls who moved to the US from Mexico two weeks before school started in August. And they are both going to be required to take our state exams in April, and were required to take the school exams in November. They can't even read/write/speak English. But yet, our wonderful and bright admin thought that it would be a good idea for them to take it. I say, screw the tests, if I kids is not fluent in English they should not be required to take a freaking test.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Just another way to demoralize our kids. Thanks for reading and making a comment. This blog is one of the few things that keeps me sane. It is a good way to vent anonymously about about crap we deal with every day and have no control over. It helps to see that others are in the same position.