Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Book Thing

My daughter just introduced me to THE BOOK THING, a book "store" in Baltimore. I put book in quotes because everything in the store is free. The Book Thing was started by a guy named Russell Wattenberg. While managing a bar in the Baltimore area, a group of teachers came in for happy hours (not that teachers need to drink). He had just picked up a load of books and offered the teachers the keys to his van and told them to take what they wanted. He then realized that lots of people have attics and basements full of books they no longer want or read and he saw a lot of people with no money to purchase these books. The Book Thing was set up to give everyone free and easy access to books. There is no charge for the books. Donations are accepted, but they are not asked for or solicited. The only charge is a smile.

For more information see:
www.bookthing.org

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The link goes to an online donation site.

Pissedoffteacher said...

thanks I'll change it

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool. I just e-mailed my Baltimore teacher friend to make sure she knows about this.

Mrs. T said...

You just told me the equivalent of going to Disney World for free, whenever I want. How. Cool.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I was so impressed with this story that I picked it up for my blog too. Thank you!

epiphanyinbmore said...

I go every Saturday! I love it!