Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Outsmarting The Baby


Not only can I never be teacher of the year, my kids would never have nominated me for mother of the year or even mother of the minute. Little kids were just never my thing.

My daughter was always bright. She could read letters and numbers before she could walk. She knew at a very early age what bedtime at 7:00 PM actually meant.

There were many days when my husband was away on business and the strain of having two children 19 months apart was just too much for me. But, my smart little girl knew what 7:00 was and there was no convincing her otherwise, until I hit on a plan.

When the kids were not looking, I set the clocks ahead one hour. I then stuck a tape of their favorite show, the one that was due to come on at 5:00, in the VCR at 4:00. They then had dinner at 5:00, bath at 5:30 and were tucked away for the night by 6:00 PM.

I got away with this for months until daddy opened his big mouth (He thought I was being cruel.)

My kids are adults now and they still won't let me live this down. The good part of it is that if I ever do become a grandmother, they will not let me have babysitting privileges.

7 comments:

ms-teacher said...

I wish I would have thought of this when my kids were small!

Son of Pissed Off said...

One hour? I bet you set it ahead 3 hours!

ChiTown Girl said...

That is hysterical!! Well played, Mom, well played!

Pogue said...

Absolutely wonderful. That is funny...My wife's friend had a little girl who wouldn't give up the "blankee". The friend cut it smaller each day, telling the girl "she" was getting bigger and outgrowing it.

NYC Educator said...

As a parent, I place great value on being sneaky, manipulative and unscrupulous. I only hope my daughter doesn't become more sneaky than I before she graduates high school. It's getting tougher every year, of course.

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

Hmmmm. Sounds like a plan for tonight. You are an evil genius!

Danielle

Pissedoffteacher said...

One of my friend's used to send her three daughters out in the rain with a paper cup to catch rain drops. She didn't let them come in until the cup was full. Now, that is evil!