Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Hissy Fit


One of my geometry classes refuses to shut up, no matter what I say or do.

Today I lost it. I barely stopped myself from uttering a four letter expletive (I never use those words in school and rarely use them outside of school either) and stormed out of the room.

The guy on hall patrol got scared and sent for a dean. [By the time she came, I was back in the room.]

The kids got scared and came running out after me. I told them I had it. I told them I didn't need their crap, that I can make more money sitting home and I was going to hand in my retirement papers.

They got upset. The worst offenders were the ones who came after me. One shoved a piece of chalk in my hand, put an arm around me and gently pushed me into the room.

While I was out, someone wrote on the board "Behave, Ms. POd is really pissed."
I managed to teach the rest of the period. My next class heard about my hissy fit and they were on good behavior too.

They said they needed me to get them through the regents. I don't understand why. They would probably be better off with someone else. I am really starting to rethink my retirement options.

I work tonight so I can't have that drink I so badly need. One drink and I can't get behind the wheel of a car and G-d only knows what I will say or do in the classroom. I guess I'll just settle for some ice cream.

4 comments:

Marcy Webb said...

I used to think it was a bad thing to let our students see us get upset. However, it reveals to them our humanity. And, as you experienced, there were students who showed real compassion and maturity.

Did you enjoy your ice cream? :)

Rachel Grynberg said...

Your students love you because you are excellent. It's important to show them you are human. Sometimes they honestly forget.
The frontal lobe, which is said to be the area which controls moral thinking, does not finish developing until 21. Sometimes, you are just an image in the way of their desires and they can't fight it off. Having taught kids close to 21, I can tell you that 18 and 21 are two different animals.

Eat healthy. Don't eat too much ice cream like me

Pissedoffteacher said...

I can live on ice cream. I have the world's worst eating habits.

mathematicamama said...

I keep telling my classes- take it seriously or take it again.