Monday, April 27, 2009

The Original Super Hero


When we do derivatives and integrals of "e" to the x, I always call "e" the original super hero because whether you integrate it, or differentiate it, you always come back to the same function. It's corny, but it helps the kids remember.

Last week, we were doing a problem in which involved an "e" and I mentioned the super hero story again, when a girl had trouble picking the part of the integral to use for the "u" in her substitution. Calc Boy then yelled out "Ln is e's Kryptonite." Everyone laughed, but I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face. For those of you who don't know the math and are still bothering to read this post, e to the lnx, is x, thus the e is destroyed.

I couldn't believe this boy made the connection. I can't believe the crazy affect I am having on them. This is a kid I will miss.

4 comments:

Mamie said...

Moments like that are what make it all worth it! Way to go!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

With kids, it's all about making connections--and obviously you're doing a super(hero) job of it!

Anonymous said...

effect?

Pissedoffteacher said...

two words I always confuse--thanks for the correction