Sunday, April 26, 2009

I'm Engaging


According to dictionary.com, the definition of engagement is to gain over; to win and attach; to attract and hold; to draw.

I'm good at doing this. Too bad doing this is not the same thing as teaching.

My kids were really engaged on Thursday. I was wearing a pair of pink, Diesel sneakers which, according to one of them look "really fly". He got out of his seat, ran up to the front of the room, and then lifted the bottom of my pant leg to get a better look at my sneaker. He then commented on my cute pink shirt and the tank I was wearing underneath.

Another kid, yelled out, "yeah, real fly. I wish I was older."

Now, before I go on, I have to tell you that I am old enough to be their grandmother, so comments like these are not exactly offensive to me. In fact, they are good for my very sensitive, very low, easily bruised self esteem.


Self observation report for the day:

Engagement: outstanding

Teaching : needs improvement

3 comments:

teachin' said...

When my kids compliment my shoes or clothes or hair or whatever, I figure that they're paying attention to me and might hear something I'm saying as well. Can't teach 'em without engaging 'em first. And your sneakers ARE really cute! :)

mathematicamama said...

We are not allowed to wear jeans or sneakers to school, as they are unprofessional and will lead to all kinds of "problems".

Pissedoffteacher said...

Problems--from jeans and sneakers!

That is sick!

Half the time I have to sit on the floor when I am tutoring. Jeans are the most appropriate things to wear, except for sweats.