Thursday, April 02, 2009

I'm Proud Just To Know Them


Calculus Rap Girl (aka Announcer Girl) and I-Pod Boy both got into the Sophie Davis BioMedical Program. For those of you not from the NYC area, I want to explain what a prestigious program this is. Sophie Davis is a combination BS-MD program. The program only admits 70 students a year. The kids go for seven years, including medical school. I'm not sure if it is totally free, but if they do pay, the cost is minimal.

Both kids thanked me profusely for the recommendations I wrote them. I don't deserve the thanks, and told them so. It was their hard work and their intelligence that got them in, not the words I wrote. I'm sure that everyone who applied had wonderful recommendations. These kids are well rounded and outgoing. Both are active in the student government. Both know when something needs to get done and they get it done.

I thanked both of these kids for giving me the honor and the privilege of being their teacher. They are the kind of kids that keep me going. These are the kids that are the future of our nation.

3 comments:

ms-teacher said...

You along with all the teachers that taught them through the years were crucial to their success. Heck, if the public is going to blame us when kids fail, we might as well take the kudos when kids succeed :)

Marcy Webb said...

Mad props to you, and to the students!

Anonymous said...

Totally free. 5 years at CCNY, with placement into a med school dealt with the 4th year (no late scrambling). I think there are 6 associated med schools, including Downstate, Columbia, Dartmouth...

Absolutely fantastic program. Congratulations.

Jonthan