Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday School



There was a car wash scheduled at Packemin this weekend and since I manage to ruin my tires every time I go to regular car wash, I decided to give them my business. The last time my car was washed was in 2004 so you can imagine how badly this was was needed.

Unfortunately, the wash never happened. I got to the school too early. But, not wanting my trip to be a waste, I walked in. The boys volleyball team was playing in an all day tournament and one of my calculus kids had been beginning me to come watch him play.

The coach saw me when I walked in and thanked me for coming. I told him about Calc boy. He told me Calc boy was the best player on the team. I told him Calc boy was the best math student in my class. This is a boy who will go places. He's bright, outgoing and well rounded. He got into many prestigious colleges but, when he saw the price tags, he decided to go to City Honors. Now, this is what I call a kid with a brain!

I also decided to pay the geometry tutoring class a visit. I wanted to see how many of my kids bothered to show up. The room was packed. The teacher was working hard and the kids were totally engaged. Unfortunately, I only saw one of my kids there but I let her know how proud I was of her and promised to give her some extra credit for showing up.

The school was surprisingly bustling. There were kids there for Saturday gym. There were JROTC kids practicing for their Florida competition. There were cheerleaders and baseball players. The atmosphere was electric. The school was so much more inviting without the regular crowds.

My car is still dirty but that's okay. I'm sure there will be other car washes before school lets out. If not, a few more years of dirt will not harm the car.

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm glad you missed the car wash. I'm sure your students were glad to see you!