Friday, January 03, 2014

Friendships

I read a Facebook post by a young teacher several days ago about the friends she had made at work, friends that have become family.  I know what she means.  I have met, and stayed in contact with some of the best people ever at the schools Iin which I have worked.

My young Facebook buddy teaches at a small elementary school and has gotten to know everyone in the building.  This doesn't happen in a large school.  Often the friends you make are the ones you share a lunch or a prep period with.  There are so many you never even know are in the building.

When I retired, I started going out to lunch with several friends from the school.  These friends invited others and before anyone turned around our monthly lunch mailing is at 35 and still growing.  (Not everyone makes every lunch.)  The best part of the lunch is the opportunity we have all had to make new friends and to get to know people we only passed in the halls and nodded quick hellos to.

Our group meets once a month at a great little Greek place centrally located for most.  The owners are nice and really take good care of us.  We even get to use a separate little area in the back.

As the new year begins, I want to give thanks to the miracle that led me to enter and love the teaching profession and for now giving me a whole lot of new friends to love and spend time with.

(More snow pictures here, on Facebook)

No comments: