Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Fighting Fire With Fire


A commenter on one of my last pieces reminded me of a tactic I used years ago when an AP did not like my lesson. This AP was teaching the same, low level prep and having the same problems with the class. I innocently asked if I could observe her. Of course she had to say yes. I walked into her room, equipped with a big yellow pad and pens. I sat in the back and wrote for 40 minutes straight, looking up once in a while to catch her looking extremely uncomfortable. When the period was over, I thanked her and left. She never asked to speak to me about the lesson. She never learned that I doodled the entire period. she never bothered me again.

6 comments:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

The quality of adminstrators of the DOE is so bad that many can not sit down with teachers and figure out how to make instruction more effective for the students.

One of the sure ways never to see your adminstrator for the rest of the year is to ask him or her for ways to improve instruction and class room management.

17 (really 15) more years said...

I have an additional strategy, one that I plan to use when they ask to see how I differentiate instruction (because it's not good enough that I fly around my classroom period after period, working individually with kids until they get it- I have to explain HOW I do it on paper, something I simply won't do). I will calmly say, "Could you please sit with me and help me write an entire unit of lessons, complete with differentiation? I need to see how it looks on paper. Then, could you please model some lessons for me?"

I am guessing that they will leave me alone after that.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Great strategy, Pissed Off! However, instead of doodling, you could have been writing another chapter in your book about the teacher-unfriendly NYC schools.(You ARE writing a book, aren't you?)

Pissedoffteacher said...

No book, I don't think I write well enough for one.

17--you and I think alike!

Justice, I have done what you suggest. It works well.

Schoolgal said...

OMG!!! What a story!!!

Anonymous said...

You rule!!!

windhover