Monday, October 06, 2008

What Really Counts


It has been said before, no one outside of education really cares about all we do. Here is an e-mail I got from a parent of a boy I taught last year.



Dear Mrs.Pod,

I am bob's mother. I would like to request you to write my son a recommendation letter. Although he didnt do good in the class, he told me that you know him pretty well and he likes you a lot. And he needs a recommendation letter from his closest teachers and first thing it got on my mind was you and you was an only teacher that actually cares about him. So i took your email from him and i feel embrassed asking you for recommendation becasue he wasnt any good in the class.
I quickly sent her the following reply:



Please don't feel embarrassed to ask for a recommendation. Bob has a lot of good qualities that I will be happy to incorporate into a recommendation. Tell him to bring me the form.

You have a wonderful son, who just needs to mature a little bit. He is lucky to have wonderful, caring parents.
To which she responded:



thank you so muchhhhhhhhhh.I am overwhelm. Thank you so much.




My AP won't agree, but there are some things more important than having a quiet classroom.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously you're a great teacher.

Having a mentor, having an adult to count on and connect with is far more important than getting A's.

So many smart people are short on personal skills, we have to teach these too.

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Bob is lucky to have had such a caring teacher.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

"...there are some things more important than having a quiet classroom."

And I thought I was the ONLY one with noisy kids!

I'm glad you made such an impression on this young man, despite the "chaos" in your classroom!

Anonymous said...

For this child to recognize that you cared and convey this to a parent speaks volumes. However, this will never reflect on the new teacher assessment system set up by the DoE because making a dent in a child's education process doesn't count.

Schoolgal

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Do you really think the suits who now run the school system care about your caring for all children?

I know you care. I know most of the people that I have met in education care. It is the managers that do not care and never will.
I hate to be cynical but all evidence points to the fact that if one confused and or unbalanced student accuses you of something, god forbid, you are history no matter your sterling reputation and all the good you have done for so many. It is the way things are!

Those who ignore it, ignore it at their own peril.

Anonymous said...

"My AP won't agree, but there are some things more important than having a quiet classroom."

Amen!!

I'm frankly surprised that mine didn't call me at home today about being out. (See my post...worst asthma attack I have had in over 20 years sent me to the hospital.) Just got a text from a coworker telling me to be sure and bring all my doctor stuff. I fully expect a lecture tomorrow about how I should have thought about my "profession". I'm sorry, but when it comes to my profession or my life, I'll choose my LIFE. What good am I if I can't breathe?!?!? Honestly!

Rachel Grynberg said...

It is great testimony to your work as a teacher that a parent spoke to you this way. It's the highest form of respect.

proofoflife said...

That was a great posting! Thank God the kids realize that most of us have their best interest in mind despite all the crap we have to put up with. I am very suspect when I walk by those quiet classrooms!I wonder what kind of learning/teaching is taking place.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I don't know of a better place to post this.

I was looking for a teachers opinion on ‘writing research papers’ or othr classroom group activities. I am a software engineer and I am trying to gather some information on how often a class is assigned group writing activities and if teachers may need any assistance grading, managing those activities.

I followed some teacher blogs and dropped this note. I am sorry if this is inappropriate.

-M

Pissedoffteacher said...

Sorry I can't help. I don't give research papers in my classes. I would be happy to add a link where people can contact you directly.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your response. If you know any teachers who do assign research papers in their classes, please have them e-mail me at mputcha[at]gmail[dot]com.

If its not too much trouble, if you were to estimate the number of teachers who do assign such work, would you say its on les s than 50% or more?

Thanks again!