Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cover Is Blown


(one of two girls doing their homework in a nearby fast food place--cropped to hide names and faces)

The faculty meeting went off as scheduled. Principal Hula (formerly known as Mr. New) was true to his word. He took the questions from the staff and answered them. Many of his answers were the kind a politician would give, but they were answers nevertheless. He said he really cared about what we thought and wanted and he wanted to be the kind of leader that helps. He sounded sincere, and, I can't believe I am writing this but, I actually like him. I know we are still in the honeymoon period and it is natural for things to get a bit rocky when we move to the next stage of our relationship but, I LIKE THIS GUY!!!! I think I can even work with him. I had no desire to read a book, listen to my I-pod or ring my cell phone non stop. Now, liking is not the same as trusting. He is still an administrator and an administrator's agenda can be total opposite of that of a teacher's. My trust is something that is not given in a day, a week or even a year.

Waiting for the meeting to start, one teacher comment on Principal Hula's shirt and suggested that we take a picture and mail it to ex-Principal Suit. Hula saw me taking the picture and came over to ask me if I was taking it for this blog. My cover is blown! My face turned the brightest red. He knows my feelings about Suit and Mr. AP and all the other things that drive me crazy in this place. He told me to talk to him about any issues I have. He already stopped the announcements and lowered the music on my request. I'm going to be careful. I'm considering making this an invited only blog or starting a new one. Or, maybe I will just quit writing.

Mr. Hula doesn't want or need my advice but, since I am older, more experienced and have one foot out the door, I am going to give it here:


1. Respect your staff, the entire staff. Everyone here performs a valuable service, from the custodian to the kitchen lady, to the school aides, to the paras, to the security staff, to the teacher, to the assistant principals. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Suit never got this and as a result, many people, including myself, stopped doing as much as we used to do.


2. Listen and consider what people have to say to you. You are the boss and all final decisons are yours. Some of us have valuable ideas. Just consider them and if you reject these ideas do it based on intelligent reason, not on ego. Suit never got this either and as a result many of the programs he started did not work.


This blog was started to get out the frustrations caused by Suit's faiure to follow these simple premises. I needed an outlet and got one here.


As of today, nothing negative will be written about Packemin HS, at least not on this blog. Sorry, it is about to become very boring. Anyone who has been following it and would like the dirt is welcome to become an invited reader on my new blog, Packemin HS, the Blog.

15 comments:

avoiceinthewilderness said...

How would one go about receiving an invitation?

Barbara K said...

I also would love to know how to get an invitation to read your new blog!

Anonymous said...

Ms. PO'd, i'd like an invite too!

--Pink Floyd.

PS: I have a blogger account that i dont use =)

Chaz said...

I would like an invite also.

NYC educator, norm, or under assualt have my email address.

17 (really 15) more years said...

PO'd- you know I want an invite- you have my personal e-mail, or send to 14moreyears@gmail.com.

PS- my word verification is "challabb"- I suddenly really want a nice raisin challah.

sandi said...

I enjoy reading your blog (I am a middle school teacher from TN)
I'd like to keep reading what you say!

Anonymous said...

How can I be invited?

Pissedoffteacher said...

All you need is a gmail account to sign in. Nothing much is written yet. I will send invitations to everyone I know as long as I can verify that you are who you are.

Long time blogging friends--you're the first to be added.

Kim Hughey said...

I've been reading your blog for about a year, and I don't think I can live without it! Your blog is the first one I read when I sit down to relax after a long day teaching HS math down here in Texas. Please, please, invite me!

Barbara K said...

I'm not a long time blogging friend, but I am a HS teacher in CA. I can send you a link to my schools web page if you want!

mathmom said...

I'd like an invite. mathmomblog@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Count me in!!!!

Schoolgal

ChiTown Girl said...

I want an invitation, I want an invitation, I want an invitation (that was my weak attempt at sounding like one of my students!) How in the hell did Principal Hula find out about the blog?

Sonja said...

I would also like an invitation! I have loved reading your blog and want to continue reading about your day.

Anonymous said...

me too.