Thursday, October 30, 2008

What To Do With Him?


I called a parent of a boy that keeps walking into class late. Each day he manages to be a few minutes later than the day before. It is almost like he is seeing how far he can push me.

Today I insisted on a late pass which, of course he could not supply. When I tried to send him to the office, he refuse. When I started to call security, he left on his own. He pissed me off so much that I stayed late to call his mom.

I was overheard while on the phone. Someone yelled out "Jimmy doesn't do well with women teachers." To which I replied, "I'm not getting a sex change operation to make him happy."

The person then went on the explain that Jimmy does better with male teachers (although I have seen him in those classes and he is pretty much the same) and suggested I transfer him to a different class. The person speaking said Mr. Y would not put up with him, he would just fail Jimmy.

Failing Jimmy is not something I want to do. Academically, he has been doing great. He happens to be a bright boy who fails because he is walking to the beat of a different drum. He is difficult but extremely intelligent. (I also like him i spite of the stress he is causing me.)

So now I am at a loss as to what to do. Jimmy's mother might be able to get him to behave for a few days but then it is back to the same behavior that has been going on for years. Passing him to another teacher is just passing off the problem. I might be better off but, will Jimmy? Will Jimmy actually settle down in another classroom or will he make that teacher miserable too? I want to be the one to save Jimmy. Do I keep him or do I throw him out like spoiled milk?

7 comments:

Sonja said...

Well - you could look at it like this - someday he will have a female boss. By keeping him in your class then he has the opportunity to learn that not all women in charge have to be B*itches. He could learn from you skills beyond that which you teach him in class.

On the other hand - if he really has troubles with women, he will go out of his way to not have a female boss later in life and all you would be doing now would be making his and your life miserable.

Personally - I"d keep him. I have a few that I"ve heard "have troubles with women" and we are grinning and bearing it at the moment. But I'm hopeful that as the year goes on, we might learn from each other.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Mr. Hula can help? Can he at least try?

Pissedoffteacher said...

I already asked Mr. Hula to help another kid that needs him much more. He said he would. I'll just have to wait and see with that one. There is only so much one person can do and there are lots of needy kids in my school.

I spoke to Jimmy today. No matter what that person said, Jimmy will be okay or not okay with me, but it has nothing to do with being female.

Jimmy told me he harrassed his ast female teacher because he thought she was giving the class a hard time. He told me he "likes" me and he doesn't understand why I would even consider transferring him. I am going to keep him in the class. I know the other teacher will let him fail and I can't allow that.

Anonymous said...

It was recently reported the in the news how many students either are absent too many times or late.
This is a school-wide problem and it's up to the admin to make the policy. In the meantime, keep this student but tell him he must get a late pass or will not be admitted.

In one elementary school, the principal makes the parents do 20 minute detention when they come late.

Schoolgal

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I was late to most of my classes in high school. I was a good student, but my rebellious streak came out in the fact that I didn't like being told that I had to report to a certain place at a certain time.
It was only a few minutes, but it was my way of keeping some control for myself.
Most teachers didn't bother to do anything because I was pleasant and cooperative and got good grades.
One teacher, though, got back at me. She was my chorus teacher, so I had been walking in late to her class for several years. She waited until my senior year and issued a detention to be served on the very last day of class.

nbosch said...

Just ignore him, as long as he is doing well--give it up. You are not going to change him, and maybe just maybe he'll turn it around on his own.

Mrs. T said...

How about going the passive-agressive route? Make sure that you hand back his corrected tests later than anyone else's.