Monday, May 14, 2007

Back To Work

Today was my first day back. I almost took another day off. I didn't think I could handle anyone offering sympathy. It was hard in the beginning. I made the error of calling my dad first thing. He was on his way to say Kaddish and was crying which of course, made me cry. Things got better after that. People were wonderful. Even people I didn't think knew who I was came over to say a nice word or two. The kids were even better. We couldn't use the trailers because there was an AP exam being given in them. We were supposed to go the auditorium but that was locked. Instead, we just hung around outside and enjoyed the nice weather. I discussed the AP exam with them (the part we are allowed to talk about). I told them that this year's exam was brutal, everyone on the list serve said so. They were well prepared and I would be willing to bet the curve will be bigger than usual. Some of my weaker students even told me some of their answers which were correct--a great and pleasant surprise. They said the short answers were easy and that I did a good job preparing them. One of the kids brought me a cupcake and told me he was giving me his heart. They all made heart signs when they left. Now I am glad I decided not to retire this year. The rest of the day went equally great. The kids in the library were glad to see me back for tutoring. My afternoon D kids were also happy to see me and actually worked quietly--eager to make up for lost time. Best of all, my dad sounds better on the phone now. I know things will still be rough for him but, if he can get through a couple of hours then there is hope he will make it in the long run.

1 comment:

17 (really 15) more years said...

I'm glad to hear you had a relatively peaceful first day back. And it's reassuring to hear that the kids truly are the best part of this job, and made your return a bit easier.