Wednesday, May 23, 2007

School Survey


The kids in my school filled out their student surveys today. What a waste of time. Period 2 and period 9 were extended to an hour which meant other classes were shortchanged. I didn't get to do a lesson period 9. My seniors had no real interest in the survey. Any possible improvements would be coming too late for them. My sophomores gave them an earful. The kids were upset that the surveys were anonymous and put their names on the envelopes. My AP, who hand delivered them to my class, spoke to the kids about being kind on the survey. He told them that in a school our size it is impossible for all adults to know the students and they should just think about if their teachers know them. I'm glad the kids ignored him. I told them to write whatever they felt was true. So be it! If you don't want if you look fat in a certain outfit, don't ask. The same is true about schools.

6 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Now imagine doing the same thing, except none of your kids know English. Eventually we were able to locate some in their languages, but it did end up taking almost the entire hour.

Pissedoffteacher said...

But it will all be worthwhile in the end.

Patrick Sullivan said...

Many parents are reporting that principals have been told by DoE that the response to the parent survey is dismal. It could not have helped that every news story of the survey included something about the boycott. Parents are likely reading the survey, realizing that it ducked the hard questions, then tossing it aside.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Many of my kids are foreign born and have parents that don't speak English. They filled out survey for their parents or threw it away.

Pissed Off Mom said...

My son told me he filled his out today also, his words are it was retarded. I asked him if he felt any of the questions represented his true feelings or needs. He said not at all. The do the teachers in your school know you question he said they do. It might have something to with the fact that he is 6"6" tall and wide. The boy is a bruiser.

I am glad to hear that the parent response has been dismal. I know a few parents that sent it in blank

X said...

That little comment from your AP made me want to kick him in the nuts.