Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pulling the Plug

The social worker said pulling the plug is not an expression we should use. My dad said, "Isn't that what we are doing?" The social worker came up with some more nice words to try to cushion what we are about to do. My dad said "I'm old. I'm from the Bronx. I call it the way I see it."

They have to remove the breathing tube tomorrow. It is no longer safe to keep it in her mouth. She can get infections and pneumonia, that is if she doesn't have pneumonia already. Her white count 1s one, when it should be around ten. She is on dialysis. She is getting transfusions, plasma, platelets every day. Our option is a tracheotomy and a feeding tube through her stomach. She would never want this. She can't get well. We are not going to let the doctors do the procedure. The end will come in a day or two. They will make her comfortable and she will feel no pain. My dad is surprisingly calm. I know it is going to be hard for him, but he might get through this after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, know that our thoughts are with you.

Death is an uncomfortable topic for many people. Thank you for sharing so openly. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

We went through a similar situation with my father. He had a DNR in writing and would not have wanted that feeding tube either, and I had to sign forms to that effect. We just had an IV in him for hydration, long after he'd stopped eating. He went peacefully and quietly, just slipping away from us to whatever lies beyond this life. You and your family have made the most merciful decisions on behalf of your mom. Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on your blog. I just hope your dad can remain serene in the face of losing his lifelong love; you have been there for him since your mom got sick, and have been wonderful.

mathnerd said...

Again, I am sorry you have to go through this. It is hard at any age.

Pissedoffteacher said...

My dad just called. He has had a change of heart. He is going to tell the doctor to do the tracheotomy after all. He can't kill her. I tod him to do what he thinks is best.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

"Yea, though I walk through valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4)

17 (really 15) more years said...

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Although you might not agree with your father's decision, all you can do now is love and support him. And if it's your mother's time, she will pass peacefully regardless.

You're in my thoughts- hang tough.

Anonymous said...

Poor dad. I'm sure the doctors will make sure that your mother is comfortable as possible either way.

Nic said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this....and my thoughts are still with you and your family.