Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Never Give Up On Kids


The kids in one of my AP classes today were telling me about one of their other AP teachers who gave up on them. She just stopped teaching. She claimed they were lazy and dumb and not worth the effort. They were happy that I never did that, no matter how lazy they were or how poorly they did on exams. The day I give up will be my last day in the classroom. That will be my cue to retire.

The people in my night class feel the same way about me. They all collected money and bought me the beautiful flowers in the picture above. They said other teachers with my problems this term would have deserted them. Teachers had done that in the past. They were glad that I didn't leave, that I came in and prepared for them, in spite of everything. I don't teach at night for the extra money. I'm not rich, but I have enough. I teach because I enjoy what I do. I get pleasure out of helping others. These flowers and the card and hugs reaffirm what I have been doing for years.

4 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

The people in your night class know a good teacher when they see one; they are to be commended for their perspicacity. And you are to be commended for your unflagging dedication to your students. Somehow I can't imagine you ever giving up!

mathnerd said...

it is great when the kids show you how much you mean to them. It tells alot about you also, that you didn't give up on them.

Anonymous said...

For a "bunch of dumb, lazy" kids they sure are perceptive some times, are they not?

Here's a toast to teaching them the lesson of commitment, dedication, and responsibility.

NYC Educator said...

I agree with California Teacher Guy. I'd commend your kids for not only perspicacity, but the Sundance Kid as well.