Monday, June 27, 2011

G-d Bless Medical Insurance


I'm getting my father back.

 Good Great health insurance got him into the offices of fantastic doctors.  The first doctor diagnosed the disease on a Thursday and got him an appointment with an oncologist on the following Tuesday.  The oncologist applied some pressure and got him in for a necessary body scan on Friday.  By Tuesday, we saw doctor 3, the radiation doctor and he got my dad started on treatments that Thursday.

It's been 4 weeks.  The cancer is shrinking and he is feeling much better.

My brother-in-law had no medical insurance.  His cancer went undiagnosed for years.  And, even when diagnosed, it took three months until he could start state subsidized treatment.  He didn't last very long.

And some people still think they don't need medical insurance.

7 comments:

TheHouse said...

I'm glad to hear you received treatment for your father and it is working. We've had a few cancer scares in our family, and I've been so thankful for the insurance coverage we've had.

Lisa2 said...

Can I ask an unrelated question? I have wondered this for years. I am aware that you are Jewish. Why do you not spell out the word God? Just wondering.
Lisa2

Anonymous said...

Fabulous news!

He has an angel watching over him.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I don't write out the name on the chance it can be wiped out or destroyed. It is something I was taught years ago in Hebrew school.

Ms. Tsouris said...

There are cutbacks in Medicare that are "forcing" doctors who presently take Medicare to institute a "concierge service" that will cost seniors presently under their care a "voluntary" $1500 per year. Specifically, I know that Dr.William Klein, of Northshore Primary Care in Great Neck, is instituting this policy. For this fee, patients will supposedly not have long waiting times, will be taken close to their appointment times, and the doctor will spend more time with them. Sounds like a loophole and a 2-tier primary care system to me.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing when I write out g-d. I have learned this in yeshiva, Hebrew School and my late grandparents who were orthodox.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Tsouris (Lisa2 might want to know more about that name) That's some story and very unfair. It's almost paying blackmail to get better service;

I use some doctors out of the GHI network, and my wait time is pretty near the appt time. I have found a good GYN (Not OB) on Marcus Ave who also runs on time and takes GHI. Now many of the staff from my old school are starting to go there too. I may change my dermatologist because her office is always filled and the wait is long. I also like my Gastro also on Marcus Ave. However, my GYN cancer surgeon--from North Shore had us waiting for hours. My only recourse was to get the first block of appts. By the time I came out, it was standing room only.

This pay-for-good-service plan really sickens me--pun intended.