Monday, June 06, 2011

Credit Recovery Success Story (I hope)

I had my doubts when this young man walked in for credit recovery help.  His tattooed arms and his demeanor didn't strike me as someone who wanted help, but someone who wanted answers.  But, I didn't judge and sat down next to him and offered help.

He was clueless for the first few problems.  But, instead of just wanting answers, he politely listened to me explaining all the choices and how to eliminate wrong answers.  I realized that math was not his subject and his background was weak.  I spent several minutes talking to him, finding out that he likes sports.  I told him that gym was my weakest class and that gym intimidated me more than math scared him.  I let him know straight out that I respected his ability to succeed in an area that was out of my reach.  We continued doing problems and before I knew what was going on, he was answering them on his own.  He worked steadily for two hours and when he left, he promised to return to complete the assignment.

I'm not a credit recovery fan, in fact, I don't even believe it should be done.  But, by giving him credit, this boy was sitting and learning.  We both felt good when he left.  I just hope some of the knowledge stays with him and he passes the regents on June 16.

4 comments:

Jeff Kaufman said...

It is rare in ed blogosphere that someone actually agrees with credit recovery. The State regs were changed last year to permit credit recovery in classes where a regents exam was given only after the recoveree passed the regents. If, as you intimate, he was allowed to do credit recovery before he passed the regents you should check the new State Ed Regs. I, for one, support all efforts, whether in a formal classroom or an alternative setting, with proper guidance and supervision, in this area. Good luck to your student.

zulma said...

Jeff,
I wrote the following comment in the NY Post regarding scams with credit recovery.

"In August 2010, NYSED made a modification to Part 100.5 regarding credit accumulation or "making up incomplete or failed course credit". I have yet to see the UFT take out the time to train or explain to chapter leaders what these changes really mean. I have yet to understand the section 8iv where students who fail a course would be "receiving intensive instruction in the deficiency areas of the course; or digital learning (online study)". So I have 30 students and every child has deficiency in different areas, do I give 30 different lessons? I still don't understand this part! The online study does not say how many courses students are allowed to take? Is it one, two, or all the courses? If the union doesn't help teachers understand the updated NYSED Part 100.5, then I see more scams coming down the pike."

So I hope you can shed more light on the above guidelines.

Anonymous said...

I've seen kids being given 4 - 6 credit recoveries. It is a scam, big time. And, one of the APs in my building is having teachers do the credit recovery for the kids. She is worried about her numbers and kids passing. She is also telling them to sign in for gym and then do credit recovery with a teacher. I also know she has excused kids from classes so they can work on credit recovery.

Jeff Kaufman said...

Zulma,

While the revised regs change prior practice it does not do away with the authority of the principal and committee to devise programs for credit recovery. If you a trying to provide individualized programs for that many credit recovery students, you will have difficulty, to say the least.

The number of courses is up to the committee and so long as standards are being met there is no state maximum. At my school we set the max at 5 (we are a transfer school). We also use an online course so that individual needs can be adequately met.

As far as your comment about the union helping you, don't hold your breath.