Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dad Update


I think my dad is starting to heal. Last night he went out for coffee with an old friend, a woman who lost her husband a year ago. She was visiting the area from Florida and called him. It took me a while to convince him to go, he cried, said he could never go with another woman. I told him it was just friendship and nothing more. He told me they sat and talked for two hours. People he knew came in and he talked to them also. She even convinced him that it might be a good idea to spend some time in his condo in Florida. He originally said he would never go there without my mom.

I know he will never get over my mom, he will never totally stop being sad or give up crying completely, but at least he might be able to go on and enjoy the rest of is life.

4 comments:

Jackie Ballarini said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and don't know if I've ever commented before, but I wanted to let you know how happy I am for you (and your father).

Personally, I know how stressful it was worrying about my Mom while trying to deal with my own grief at the loss of my father.

Your father is very lucky to have such a caring daughter.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Thank you for your kind words and for reading. I am sorry about your dad and hope your mom is doing better.

ms. whatsit said...

Healing will take a long, long time given that your parents were married for so many years. It is positive that he is now willing to spend some time out with friends. I know how worried you've been about his condition even before your mother passed on.

It really hasn't been that long since you lost her, though I imagine that it must seem like a lifetime ago.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that your father is at least willing to spend time with a friend. Grief can be a transformative state; it may never go away, but somehow you adapt to it. I guess at least he will think about Florida. It sounds as if your Dad had a decent evening...he deserves being able to enjoy life again.