Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Not Putting Up With His S*** Anymore (Not That I Ever Did)

"Ms. will you be upset if I throw a penny at you", said Problem Boy from the back of the room.  The class immediately jumped on him for making not only an inappropriate comment, but making one that was anti- Semitic as well.  I called to have him removed immediately.

The dean brought Problem Boy to Mr. AP, who I went to see as soon as the class ended.  Mr. AP said there is nothing he could do about him, there is no other class that fits his program.  (I know he would have found a class if the boy made a comment like that to one of his little cuties.)  Mr.  AP also found nothing wrong with the comment.  He said he questioned Problem Boy about the incident.  Problem Boy told Mr. AP that I was teaching when he made the comment and he and his friend were sitting in the back, making jokes.  Mr. AP looked at me and began, "I've told you time and time again, do not teach while the kids are talking and,,,"  At that point, I cut him off.  I said I am not going to listen, got up and slammed his office door on my way out.  With steam still pouring out of my ears, I found my way to a higher authority, someone who listened to me, understood that I had done everything possible to control the situation.  This person called Problem Boy in and dealt with the real problem, him, not me.

I know I am upset about Problem Boy, but he is a child and that I can deal with.  My bigger issue is with Mr. AP and his constant negativity and his demeaning of every female over 50 in the department.  (Yesterday's department conference is a prime example of his actions.)  Hopefully he heard loud and clear that his actions are totally unacceptable.  I don't believe he will ever learn.  Unfortunately, we all believe that life will go on and nothing with him will ever change. He'll leave me alone for a while but find someone else to attack, someone who won't fight back. And, before you know it, he will be on me again.  Only I don't back down.  He'll get a fight every time.

8 comments:

james boutin said...

That kind of meeting with Mr AP is a great reason to be pissed off.

Anonymous said...

So did someone break his camel's back because if it was directed at him, I won't shed any tears.

PS Does he not know you have a blog or does he not care?

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm sure he knows and I don't care! Nothing will happen to him except maybe he'll have to listen to a few negative words. Nothing changes, ever.

BTW--he is not the one I was referring to in that post.

Anonymous said...

I know you don't care, but either he is pretending it doesn't bother him and finds other ways to take it out on you. btw, you only stop teaching when the whole class is not listening. You can eye those few who are not, but given you only have a period with them, better they are asked to leave.

Pissedoffteacher said...

We can't ask kids to leave.

Attorney DC said...

Pissed Off: Your incident reminds me of my first year of teaching, when I disciplined a student (I think I gave him lunch detention). He complained to the AP, who called both of us into our office for a discussion as to which of us was lying (!) and which of us was telling the truth. What a way to cut the power out from under the feet of the teachers! I find it totally inappropriate in your situation for the AP to take the side of the misbehaving student and admonish you for teaching when he was fooling around... instead of admonishing him for fooling around when you were teaching!

sara g (Israel) said...

maybe this is a stupid question, but why was the boy's remark anti- Semitic? is there some background here i'm missing?

Pissedoffteacher said...

His comment, penny pinching Jews--a stereotype I grew up hearing about.