Monday, October 04, 2010

Problems

A boy told me to do something with my mouth to a certain part of his anatomy when I told him to put his phone away today.  (Why he would want someone my age to do that to him must be a story in itself.) When I asked him what he said, he replied, "You have ears, you heard what I said."   I immediately had him removed from class.  The kids in the class were appalled that he spoke to me that way. 

The dean who removed him immediately called his dad and set up an appointment for him to come to school.  Not knowing this, I also called his dad and logged the call on the computer.  His dad was noticeably upset with the boy and promised to do all he could to curtail this behavior.  It seems boy has been acting out quite a bit lately.

Problem one is boy got a 45 in the previous term's math class.  He came into this class obviously knowing nothing and I am sure part of his acting out is a defense against looking stupid as there is no way he can possibly keep up.

Problem two is boy was removed from this class for two weeks, put G-d only knows where and then mysteriously returned.  So not only was he behind to start with, those two missing weeks put him even farther behind.

Problem three is the boy's home life.  He is in the object of a nasty custody battle and while he doesn't say, both his dad and I agree this must be taking a toll on him.

Problem four is dad thinks boy has learning disabilities that haven't been addressed. He was in ISS when he was young but his mom had him decertified which dad thinks might not have been the right thing to do.

The biggest problem is not boy.  Boy's issues I can deal with.  It is what transpired while I was entering data in computer that really pissed me off.  I can deal with that one too, but I shouldn't have to.  Read all about it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that he said that...completely inappropriate but handled well.
At least there are consequences for his actions, or in this case his filthy dialogue.