Wednesday, October 06, 2010

It Will Be My Fault...


Kim comes to class late, needs the pass and does no work, that is, on the days she shows up.  Last week, I had it.  I found her mom's work number and gave her a call.  Mama Kim was very happy to hear from me and she kept me on the phone quite a while, discussing Kim's problems and what we could do to help her.

When Kim arrived in class that afternoon, I greeted her with a message from her mom.  Kim was furious.

"Do you know what my mom does?  My mom works at XXX Prison.  When you called her she was sitting at her desk with inmates.  You discussed my personal life in front of prisoners.  And, you endangered my mom.  How could she pay attention to them when she was talking to you?  If she gets killed, it will be all your fault."

I don't know what Mama Kim does in the prison but I hope she brings some of those work skills home to deal with her child.

6 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

What the hell?! Doesn't she realize that if her momma thought she'd be endangering herself by talking to you because you distracted her (huh?!) she would have told you that herself? I love the BS kids come up with!!!

NYC Educator said...

I was going to write almost the same thing ChiTown girl did. This is one manipulative kid who doesn't hesitate to scrape the bottom of the barrel for any argument that suits her purposes. If I were you, I'd call mom again and report Kim's comments.

In fact, I'd do it right now.

Anonymous said...

In the prisons in this area no one who works there is allowed to carry a cell phone while working.

veteran teacher said...

I would certainly follow up with momma and express your concern that you may have put her very life in danger (as per her daughter's narrative)!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What kids come up with.

Anonymous said...

There is a very interest op-ed piece in Huffpo written by a NYC teacher posted on Support Public Schools. :)