Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Whine

We were told at a recent faculty conference to assess our students knowledge and to not move ahead until we are reasonably certain the material has been learned.

My four term algebra class has been working on equation solving since the middle of September. I gave a test Friday and little has been mastered. I don't know what to do anymore with these kids. Some try and can't put it together on an exam. Some don't even bother trying. I've called parents, written to guidance counselors, spoken to kids individually, nothing I do works. Mervin handed in a paper with three questions done. When I reminded him of the note he signed, he just said, "I can do it in class. I can't do it on a test." I believe him. He is passing every other subject this semester. And, although his eighth grade assessment shows him as a three, he has never passed math. Ginger, does the consecutive integer problems, gets to 19, 20 and struggles to get to 21 (imagine, trying to learn algebra when you have trouble counting.)

I first thought that these kids were the lowest level kids I ever taught but then I realized I was mistaken. Years ago, I taught Title 1 math, arithmetic classes. The kids had individual plans. There were less than 20 students in the room and a para was present. They didn't all succeed but they got help on the level they needed. The Board of Regents thinks they have raised standards by doing away with these low level classes. They need to think again. Nothing has really changed except now we are deliberately setting these kids up for failure by forcing them to take classes they don't have the basic skills and an aptitude for.

I just finished marking the exams--maybe I am making too much out of this. So, I will use my data to try to see where to go next.
16 passed, 10 failed
3 in the 90's
5 in the 80's
2 in the 70's
7 in the 60's
3 in the 50's
1 in the 40's
1-in the 30's
3 in the 20's
1 grade of 10
class average: 62

I guess I am now the 62% woman but I won't be happy until I am the 100% woman. I set my goals high!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way! I also teach a 4 term Algebra and I am also getting the same results. I also call parents. Most of them want to be uninvolved! We are sending students out there who are illerate in math and english. We are just pushing these kids through. It is scary!

mathman42 said...

We are in effect doing it in 3 terms. I assume you didn't scale like the Regents. Your kids did much better than those who took my my last test which was mostly probability. I used a scale somewhat less generous than the Regents and about 1/3 passed. If I were doing 4 terms , term 1 would be pre algebra, the 7/8 grade stuff they need for IA.

Pissedoffteacher said...

No scale except for the usual 100%--25 questons 4 points each with very little partial credit.

The test was only equation solving and simple word problems involving consecutive integers. My goal is to build their skills before the regents.

Jacob Sussman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.