Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'll Admit When I Am Wrong



I'll admit I am wrong when I am wrong. And, I am wrong about the total uselessness of stated goals.

Our four term algebra curriculum needs real goals, goals that can be worked on to help our students succeed not only in passing the regents but developing a foundation that will lead to their success in college. I never really thought about the necessity of these goals before I taught the four term class, but now that I have, I can see they are sorely needed.

My goal would be to help our students master the basics skills in algebra to insure success
and to teach them to think.
If I had any say in the matter (which, being a lowly teacher I probably don't have) I would toss the curriculum to the wind and concentrate on what the kids desperately need, basic skills. I would teach signed number operations and emphasize the importance of common sense in using them. I would encourage calculator use but I would also encourage solutions without the calculator. Too often, our students have no idea as to whether an answer makes sense or not. I would also spend quite a bit of time solving equations. Without this skill, there is no way algebra can be mastered. I have kids in my geometry class that passed the algebra regents but have no idea how to do this. I would also work with polynomials and try to get them to acquire basic skills here too.

If I had a say in the curriculum I would toss aside the abstract stuff like the properties of number systems. Most don't get them and the ones that do, don't remember them for any long periods of time. All of those can be done before the regents.

There needs to be goals like coming to class every day, doing work, paying attention and bringing basic supplies. These are goals for the kids. I want goals for the curriculum itself.

6 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Because I respect you, I'm willing to make sacrifices on your behalf. Therefore, I'm also willing to admit when you are wrong. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Chaz said...

PO'd:

You can never work at Tweed or be a Principal since they are never wrong.

LSquared32 said...

I like your goals. It's harder to do in some classes than others, but I think if you can find the space to remake a class centered around really understanding and mastering the basics, it is more effective and powerful than classes where you are following the dictates of a textbook/whatever. Some of the most effective teachers I know do just that sort of thing. Now, I've never seen it done in the sort of class you're teaching (high school math, one of a set in a sequence, that sort of thing), so I don't know if it can be done within those limitations or not, but if it could, the kids would learn a lot from it. Good luck--I hope you can find a way to be effective with your goals within the limitations of the class.

mathman42 said...

With four terms you have a shot. The idea is of course to keep them interested. You should be able to incorporate some reasonably fun stuff that focuses on basics. Check out Algebra Out Loud, Algebra Survival Guide, or Painless Algebra. I don't use them as much as I should.

Anonymous said...

What is the difference between two term and four term algebra? Why do some schools choose to give four term and some schools never mention that option? Is it designed for kids that are having real problems with math?
-- Entering HS Freshman Mom

Pissedoffteacher said...

Four term algebra goes very slow. It is for kids who score 1 or 2 on eighth grade assessments. These kids rarely get an advanced diploma and overall do not get a very good math education. They are trained to pass the regents and nothing more.